According to the “State Program on social-economic development of regions in the Republic of Azerbaijan in 2014-2018“, the projects on rehabilitation and restructuring of water supply, sewerage systems and infrastructure in the centers of towns and cities, including settlements and villages in the country implemented by “Azersu” OJSC are based on comprehensive surveys, scientific achievements including innovative technologies in the water sector, acquired in various countries of the world. The main criteria of the ongoing works on restructuring water supply and sewerage systems is their implementation based on scientific achievements and comprehensive surveys. From this point of view, some scientific-research on the following directions are conducted at “Sukanal” Scientific-Research and Design Institute:
- Carry surveys on application of integrated water resources management in the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- Carry surveys on preparation of drinking water supply strategy of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- Research on study and development of water resources;
- Develop technologies on economizing water for reusing washing water used for equipment at water treatment facilities;
- Conduct scientific research and preparation of recommendations for water supply and waste water in residential areas and industrial enterprises;
- Prepare measures and recommendations for the purpose of upgrading water treatment practices at the water and waste water treatment facilities to international standards accepted in the country;
- Develop new and effective structures of hydrotechnical facilities;
- Carry surveys towards studying drinking water quality and the ground;
- Study ecological problems of water basins.
- Water facilities for enterprises, preparation of ecological passports and technological agenda.
The scientific-research in connection with purposes and responsibilities set for the institute is applicable and cover main directions of its activities. This allows to solve priority problems of water supply, discharge of waste water and construction of hydrotechnical facilities in the country. During the last decade a range of scientific research pertaining to water supply has been conducted. In this respect it is worth to note the scientific research performed on “Improving quality level of the drinking water produced at Kur and Jeyranbatan stations to WHO standards. As a result of these activities technological working regime of water treatment including technological scheme at the stations were updated and the quality of treated drinking water have been improved.
As a result of surveys carried out at Kur and Jeyranbatan water treatment plants restructuring works have been carried out at these plants. In addition, by using Maqnaflok LT-31 and LT-25 organic fluculating components produced by “Ciba “ of Germany, innovative water treatment technologies have been established at Kur and Jeyranbatan pipeline and effectiveness and economic productivity of water treatment facilities have been improved throughout this works.
Effects of quality changes taken place for some reasons in the water delivered to processing in pipelines Baku I and II, including Kur and Jeyranbatan water treatment plants have been determined. Précised Technological Guidelines have been worked out for treatment and neutralization of water. A set of monitoring measures are taken into consideration in order to prevent natural and man-made emergency situations at Kur and Ceyranbatan water treatment plants, water reservoirs and high efficiency pumping stations in charge of Baku Sukanal Organization and water supply and sewerage systems of larger cities (Sumgait, Shirvan, Mingechaur, Yevlakh, Shemkir, Saatli).
On the basis of the statute and regulation documentation related to exploitation of water supply and sanitation systems there is a document prepared for each enterprise, indicating calculation of admissible limit of harmful substances in discharged waters. On this basis, the admissible limit of harmful substances discharged into the Caspian Sea from waste water treatment plants in charge of “Azersu” OJSC has been calculated and endorsed for each enterprise. The project allows for some factors like levels of effects of hazardous substances from specific mixtures contained in concrete waste water discharged into the sea and possibility of changes in hydraulic condition.
For proper functioning of treatment plants and facilities, operation and exploitation guidelines for each plant and the whole station in general are described in Technical Guidelines. The Institute has prepared ecological data for each existing treatment facility. Scientific research carried out in the institute have been applied on water pipes line like Bakı I-II, Kur, Jeyranbatan, Hovsan Aeration Station, Buzovna and Sumgayıt treatment plants.
At the moment the following scientific-research programs are performed at the institute:
- Prepare schemes of monitoring systems of water supply resources;
- Monitoring of water supply sources, provide proposals for upgrading water intake;
- Study reasons for generating solid substances in water reservoirs and provide proposals on upgrading aeration systems of reservoirs;
- Carry out studies in connection with reuse of solid substances generated in waste water treatment plants;
- Investigate washing process and forecasting at sanitation zones of water intake facilities at Girdmanchay, Goychay, Turyanchay, Talachay, Pirsaatchay, Gusarchay and Gudyalchay rivers;
- Geological, geological-hydrological and feasibility study of creating local water reservoirs in mountainous and hillside areas in case of scarcity of water resources;
- Survey of water losses on water supply networks (pilot variant – Sumgait city).